The baby item industry can make it seem like you need everything under the sun to care for your baby. That their product with make life with a newborn just a little bit easier, a little more manageable.
The truth is the list of what a baby needs is actually very small. Of course there are some items that are essential, but a lot can be purchased later when you’ve settled into motherhood and gotten to know what items will work best for you and your baby.
So what do you need right away? What are some things that are nice to have? What can wait?
Essentials before baby comes:
- A safe place for baby to sleep. This can range to anything from a crib to a bassinet to bed sharing ( a post on safe bed sharing is coming soon!). It’s currently recommend that babies sleep in their parents room for the first 6 months.
- Infant or convertible car seat
- Some newborn and 0-3 months onesies and sleepers
- Feeding items. If you plan to breastfeed it’s great to have lanolin on hand. If you’re formula feeding have ready-made formula and bottles.
- Baby Blankets
- Burp Cloths
- Healthy Snacks
Nice to haves before but can be bought after baby is here:
I found a lot of items below vary by family (for example my babies took baths with me) If you have friends with babies you can always ask to borrow some items to make sure babies likes it before investing. What one baby loves another may hate.
- A stroller or baby carrier.
- Swing or bouncy chair
- Breast Pump
- Rocking Chair
- Bath Items
- Baby Monitor
- Change Table
What you don’t need:
- Wipe warmer
- Fancy breastfeeding pillows
- Crib bumper and quilt
- Nursing Cover
- Bottle sterilizer
- Bottle warmer
Is there anything you couldn’t live without when you had your baby? What do you think all new families should have on hand when they welcome a baby?